thats idea for an setup which i had back in avatar days when was working on the waterfall sequences. the waterfall setup in houdini is much easier. the data in houdini is much better to control. i am using 2d version of mountian texture to drive the mass and the velocity of the particles. i am faking air pressure with same vop pop operations. the result is pretty fast and under good control, i get the shape which i wanted. the color show different level like density, pressure etc…
the next step is feed all the data into mantra rendering. mantra works wuite well but for close of water –> i need a fast raytarcer like modo or vray. that will my next step. with current simulation setup i can push the details to the level i needed at still pretty fast sim times.
(its little slow, just realize the paramters –> final output should have the correct speed)
i had time to optimize my rig for old project:
this is a quick demo of realtime preview of my waterfall rig. the volume represents the implicitly volume rendering in renderman. i used couds shape to show in maya opengl the size and opacity of the implicit volume (renderman).
here example of my expressions setup for faking air pressure:
this is a screen of my adjustable volume emitter for my waterfall rig. i can fit the emitter to edge of the rocks and adjust the amount of water on each position with a ramp:
i hope i can post a video with all “water-structure” feature of my rig.
finally, i had finished sets of the nodes in nuke for my waterfalls. i can change the look of the waterfalls in realtime and place it in the 3d space in nuke. so i can fly around in 3d-space and place so many waterfalls i want… the rendertime takes about 5 seconds in nuke (incl. displacments) with this different waterrfalls. (all created with same base-layer).
here is quick test for concept 3d-matte painting…
the concept-painting was created by a great artist at softmachine, my job was to transform the painting into 3d and add the waterfall in the background.
i´ve created a little mask for the painting and projected and displaced it on a plane with
nuke´s 3d-features to create a more dynamic 3d-feeling picture in the camera movement.
the waterfall created in 10 mintes with default-settings of my dynamic-scripts (maya and renderman).
i am finish my waterfall-toolbox in maya…. and i´ve got now a rendered sequence. now i am trying to get my waterfall into a mattepainting… here is the first wip…. i have to work on the waterfoam… check the mov file
i am testing different shadings in renderman for my waterfall-scene….
the new renderman for maya works very well with my new shaders….
a lots points particles and displaced primitiv.spheres…
here are few frames in motion with alles layer in one exr file…